To provide educational resources for residents in Boone and Winnebago Counties.
- Be a high school senior in Winnebago and Boone Counties who has been nominated by his or her high school's principal* (current college students and non-traditional students may apply without nomination);
- Have a permanent address in Winnebago or Boone County;
- Have a GPA of at least 2.5/4.0;
- Demonstrate financial need (defined as an EFC of less than 10,000); and
- Exhibit sincerity, high character, and the ability to overcome obstacles.
* Principals may nominate one student only.
Considering the background and criteria of this scholarship, why are you the best candidate? Discuss your financial need, sincerity, high character, and ability to overcome obstacles.
Ernest (Ernie) and Charlene (Char) lived in Rockford, Illinois for 50 years. They both came from the LaSalle/Peru area and moved to Rockford after they were married.
Ernie was a graduate of Creighton University and worked in banking. Charlene continued her education while raising a family, and working hard to become C.F.O. of Southern Imperial Inc.
Throughout their lives, they worked hard and raised two wonderful children, son, Jan J. Stachowiak and daughter, Kim J. Stachowiak. They were entrepreneurs owning real estate, restaurants, and the Cherry Valley Inn Tavern. They enjoyed their life together, and retired to Las Vegas, Nevada in 1999.
While retired Ernie golfed and visited Starbucks daily. Charlene quilted, sang with the Silvertones, and took care of their new baby: “Tank” the bulldog. They will be remembered for the amazing people they were and the lives they touched.